Sri Lanka Air Force Unit Katukurunda celebrated its 26th Anniversary on 16th Nov 2010 in after its re-establishment as an Air Field Unit 1984.
Having first established as a Royal Naval Air Station (RNAS) in 1943 under the command of Captain GA (Hank) Rotherham, this station played an important role during World War II. However later on it grew to be the largest Royal Naval Air Station housing over 300 officers and 3000 men. It provided a reserve pool of aircraft and crews for fleet carriers and a place for carrier squadrons for rest and training.
Later, it was commissioned as Sri Lanka Air Force Unit Katukurunda on 16 November 1984 by Hon. Ronnie de Mel, then Minister of Finance and Planning on the invitation of then Commander of the Air Force AVM Dick Perera and placed under the command of Flight Lieutenant S Eddissooriya.
At present, SLAF Unit Katukurunda has developed in to a fully fledged air field unit with all necessary infrastructure and houses three flight training schools with few more to be added in the future.
A program of several activities were held to mark the 26th anniversary of the unit under the guidance of present Commanding Officer Squadron Leader Chinthaka Herath that commenced with a donation to children’s orphanage at Galpatha, Kalutara and included formation day parade, tree planting campaign, sports activities and ended with the all ranks lunch.