Out of the three services in Sri Lanka, the Sri Lanka Air Force is entrusted with the responsibility of safeguarding the air space and the sovereignty over Sri Lanka. In carrying out this important task, the Director Aeronautical Engineering who is the head of the Directorate of Aeronautical Engineering is responsible to the Commander of the Air Force in servicing and the maintenance of the whole aircraft fleet in Sri Lanka Air Force to maintain the operational readiness.
The SLAF has many types of aircraft in it's inventory to carry out troop and cargo transportation, reconnaissance/surveillance, VIP/VVIP transportation, flying training and combat missions.
Under the Directorate of Aeronautical Engineering the technical engineering officers and Aero tradesmen perform duties in different disciplines to achieve the main objective of maintaining fully serviceable and mission capable aircraft to meet the routine and operational commitments.
The Following functions and responsibilities fall under the Directorate of Aeronautical Engineering
Aircraft Engineering Wing
- Structural repairs and modifications of the SLAF aircraft.
- Battle damage repairs and recovery of aircraft.
- Complete rebuilding of Bell 212/412 helicopters.
- Heavy maintenance of turbine engines
- Component overhaul of rotor wing aircraft
- Non Destructive testing of aircraft components
- Rebuilding of Bell 212/412 helicopter tail booms
- Ground running and testing of J-79 ( Kfir ) Engine
- Complete repair and overhaul of Bell 212 Transmission
- Overhaul and repair of Aircraft Instruments
- Helicopter Rotor Blades repairs
- Aircraft Weight and Balance
- Maintenance of Safety equipment
Aircraft Preservation & Salvage Unit
- Maintenance of vintage Aircraft of the Air Force Museum
- Repair and Overhaul of fixed wing aircraft instruments
- Repair and Overhaul of electrical components of fixed wing aircraft
- Repair and overhaul of under carriages and Propellers of fixed wing aircraft
- Repair and overhaul of airframe components of fixed wing aircraft
- Repair and overhaul of wheels and under carriages of fixed wing aircraft
- Aircraft Battery maintenance
- Repairing rectification and test running of UAV Engines
- Aircraft Surface repairs