The Directorate of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering is established in the SLAF for Administration of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology functions and to provide and maintain efficient Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology facilities.
The Following functions and
responsibilities fall under the Directorate of Electronics and
The Directorate of Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering is responsible for the installation, maintenance and repair of,
- Airborne communication and navigational equipment.
- Ground based communication equipment.
- Air Traffic Control communication and navigational equipment.
- Ground based navigational aids.
- Telephone exchanges (Manual & Automatic) and instruments.
- Photocopiers and Facsimile Machines.
- Audiovisual equipment such as Public Address Systems, televisions, VCRs etc.
- Radio relay equipment.
- Electronic Counter Measures (ECM) equipment installed in SLAF aircraft.
- Airborne & ground based radar equipment.
- The responsibilities of the directorate also include.
- Harnessing of all available resources to implement the role of the Directorate
- Acquiring new resources to carry out the proposed development projects
- Training of personnel to meet the requirements of the SLAF
- Planning and distribution of equipment and other resources to optimize the efficiency
- Systems analysis of the entities under the organization
- To automate the systems where viable
- Development of application software
- Acquisition of Hardware / Software for the organization
- Implementation and maintenance of the Information Technology Systems of the Air Force
- To carryout research on new technologies and adopt relevant technologies in to the organization
- Human resources development in Information Technology within the organization.
- Air Radio Mechanic
- Air Wireless Mechanic
- Air Radar Mechanic
- Air Communicator
- Telegraph Mechanic
- Computer Technician