The airfield at Sigiriya was initially established by the Royal Air Force in 1942, during the World War II. Since there was no requirement, after WW II, it was abandoned by the RAF in 1946.
The present Station was declared open by late Honourable Lalith Athulathmudali Minister of National Security and Deputy Minister of Defence on 19th April 1985 on the invitation of the Commander of the Air Force , Air Marshal DC Perera.
The airfield is equipped with facilities to support medium/light transport aircraft. Commercial airline operators also use this airfield since it is situated close to Sigiriya Rock, which is a very popular tourist destination.
There are several large scale projects carried out at SLAF Sigiriya in support of SLAF civil construction programs. These include:
- Metal Project
- Fence Post Project
- Cement Block Project
SLAF Sigiriya is commanded by Group Captain LHN Jayatilake
Group Captain LHN Jayatilake
Sri Lanka Air Force,
+94 11 2441044, 249549, +94 11 066-2284725
Last Updated: 2017-02-01