THE “CRADLE OF MILITARY AVIATORS” IN SRI LANKA, THE NO 1 FLYING TRAINING WING COMPLETES 70 YEARS OF PROUD SERVICE TO THE NATION
11:50am on Thursday 2nd September 2021
The “Cradle of Military Aviators” in Sri Lanka, the No 1 Flying Training Wing completed its 70th year of proud service to the nation yesterday (01st of September 2021). The inception of the prestigious and premier flying school of the Royal Ceylon Air Force took place on the 01st of September 1951 as where it was initially established as the “Flying Wing” at the then Royal Ceylon Air Force Station, Katunayake. From its inception, the Wing has been at the forefront in grooming young and enthusiastic men and women of our great nation to fully realize their aspirations in becoming military aviators. In 1951, four Canadian DHC-1 Chipmunk aircraft were inducted for flying duties. Five (5) more Chipmunk aircraft and 3 British Airspeed Oxford aircraft were inducted in the years 1952 and 1953 respectively to supplement the flying capacity of the Flying Wing.

In 1954, six British Balliol aircraft were inducted to enhance the training capacity of the Wing. With the induction of the Balliol’s, the Flying Wing which only catered for the requirement of basic flying was able to provide advance flying training which made a notable change in the flying operations of the Wing. In 1955, two more new aircraft were inducted. Namely, the Scottish Prestwick Pioneer and the DH 104 Dove built in United Kingdom. In 1959, the Royal Ceylon Air Force Flying Wing became the first flying squadron to operate jet powered aircraft with the addition of 12 British Hunting Jet Provost aircraft there by stepping into a new era of flying. In 1963, the Flying Training school was shifted to China Bay which was found to be a better airfield for training purposes. In 1970, 6 American Cessna 150 aircraft were inducted to conduct flying training as the Chipmunks were being phased out. In 1984 three new aircraft types were inducted for both training and operational requirements. Three (03) Siai Marchetti Warrior aircraft, three (03) Siai Marchetti 260TP aircraft and three (03) Cessna 337 Sky Master aircraft were added.

In 1988, due to the security situation in the East, the No 1 Flying Training Wing, or FTW for short, was relocated to SLAF Base Anuradhapura. In 1992, the Argentinian IA 58 Pucara aircraft joined the SLAF to enhance the operational capability of the Wing. On the 1st March 2000, the No 1 Flying Training Wing was awarded with President Colour in recognition of its years of exceptional service to the nation. In 2001, the FTW aircraft fleet was further expanded with the induction of six Chinese PT-6 aircraft to be used as an “Ab-Initio” trainer. The 22nd of October 2007 was a dark day for all members of the Flying Training Wing and SLAF Base Anuradhapura as the LTTE carried out a surprise attack on the hanger. The attack destroyed 3 PT-6 aircraft. With the humanitarian operations coming to an end in 2009, the FTW was shifted back to China Bay on 01 January 2009. In April 2010, the No 14 Advanced Flying Training Squadron which operated the Chinese built K-8 aircraft was also merged to the No 1 FTW. In 2018, six more PT-6 aircraft were purchased to further enhance the flying training capabilities of the Wing. This Wing is also home to the only Aerobatics Display Team of the Sri Lanka Air Force, the “Blue Eagles” who perform exhilarating aerobatics displays by using the PT-6 aircraft. The FTW aircraft inventory is also the largest in the Sri Lanka Air Force with 26 aircraft.

The present Commander of Sri Lanka Air Force, Air Marshal Sudarshana Pathirana also served as a Qualified Flying Instructor during the year 1999 and was a pillar of knowledge and strength to many young aspiring pilots of the Air Force. The first Commanding Officer of the No 1 Flying Training Wing was Flight Lieutenant Norman Lush of the Royal Air Force and has been under the command of 32 Commanding Officers and is presently commanded by Wing Commander Dinesh Kasagala.
 
The day’s proceedings commenced with the customary Working Parade was held at Wing premises where it was reviewed by the Commanding Officer. This was followed by a tree planting program also within the Wing premises.
 
The day was concluded with a ‘Bodhi puja’ at the Academy Temple followed by a ‘Bana’ program at the main hangar which was conducted via a virtual platform with the participation of Commanding Officer and Wing personnel. All activities of the day were carried out under the COVID-19 health guidelines issued by Air Force Headquarters.

The Wing currently operates three aircraft platforms at present, namely the C-150 and PT-6 for Basic Flying training while K-8 aircraft are used for Advanced and Fighter Conversion Training. Other than providing flying training for Officer Cadets, the wing also caters with Flying Instructor Training and Basic Air Traffic Control training as well. More than 350 pilots have successfully completed their basic flying training and passed out from this prestigious institution. No 1 FTW has been the cradle of military aviators in Sri Lanka for 70 years since its inception and the Wing boasts of grooming many exemplary and extraordinary individuals to protect the skies of our motherland. It has met with all the standards expected from a flying training establishment for decades and will continue to do so for the generations to come.


airforce_logo
SRI LANKA AIR FORCE
GUARDIANS OF THE SKIES
© 2021 Sri Lanka Air Force Directorate of Information Technology . All rights reserved